Graduate students and professors from the Department of Criminology at the University of Ottawa are presenting the following papers as part of the 2018 Canadian Association of Cultural Studies conference on the theme of "Carceral Cultures" being held at Simon Fraser University's downtown Vancouver campus from March 1-4:
- Jennifer M. Kilty (Associate Professor) with Michael Orsini (Vice Dean, Graduate Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences) - "Conteracting Shame, Recognizing Desire: Navigating the Emotional Labour of Counselling HIV Disclosure"
- Matthew Ferguson (PhD student) - "Representations of Detention and Other Pains of Law Enforcement in Police Museums in Ontario, Canada"
- Devon Madill (MA student) - "Representing (In)justice: Meanings of Penality in New Brunswick's Courthouse Museums"
- Jarrod Shook (undergraduate student) - "Getting 'Beyond the Fence': Interrogating the Backstage Production, Marketing and Evaluation of CSC's Virtual Tour"
- Justin Piché (Associate Professor) with Kevin Walby (Associate Professor, Criminal Justice, University of Winnipeg) - "Carceral Retasking and Abolitionist Interventions: Reflections on Punishment Memorialization in Canada and Beyond"
Click here to learn more about the conference.